Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 1999 17:12:05 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vpn: swan, ssh/ppp or skip

> > >   I use PPP over ssh and create VPN.  It's fine.
> >
> > I've looked at this--how reliable is the connection?
>
> As reliable as the transport.

Any arrangement that routes through a TCP tunnel means that if a packet has to be re-transmitted then all of the connections routed through the tunnel have to wait for it.

This isn't going to  be an issue for light usage, and ssh makes a lot of sense for things like connecting into a remote network from home, but it's probably not the best for linking networks together with more than a few people at either end.

Andrew McNaughton