Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 09:31:25 +0000
From:      David Bauer <bauer@genprofile.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Endless cycle of reboots

Harry Putnam wrote:
> I was working on a way to start my network connection during boot and

I have this in pccard.conf:

        insert  logger -t pccard:$device -s NETGEAR FA410TX Ethernet
inserted
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether
        remove  logger -t pccard:$device -s NETGEAR FA410TX Ethernet
removed
        remove  /sbin/ifconfig $device delete

The original pccard_ether script is designed to grab the pcmcia ethernet
card configuration from rc.conf. I was not able to get this working so I
replaced the pccard_ether with a very simple script:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/sbin/fa_select ed1 0
/sbin/ifconfig ed1 10.0.0.2
/sbin/route add default 10.0.0.1

I have no idea why the machine is constantly rebooting. Even if the
network configuration is absolutely wrong, the machine should stay up.
Do you get a message like "Automatic reboot in progress.." as last
console message or do you get a crash and reboot like after pressing a
reset button ? If you have the reboot message is there any strange
message before it, which could indicate what may be wrong in rc.conf ?