Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:15:08 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "uwi mAn" <uwiman3k@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: release to stable upgrade

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:36:42 -0500  "uwi mAn" wrote:
 +------------------
 | ive never done that before.... heh
 | Is it painless? I dont mind having BSD 4.4 Stable instead of Release.
 +------------------

Tracking -stable is probably not painless depending on your definition
of pain.  Here is a description of my experience.

It took about 20 minutes reading to figure out how cvsup
works.  Then about another 40 minutes to cvsup the sources the first
time.  Maybe 10 to 30 minutes to cvsup each time after that.  I
then follow a procedure something like the following.

    Read through the /usr/src/README and /usr/src/UPDATING
    merge my kernel conf file with the most recent GENERIC.

    make buildworld;
    make buildkernel KERNCONF=XXX;
    make installkernel KERNCONF=XXX;
    make instalworld;
    reboot;

This all takes about an hour on my old AMD-K6.  But it is mostly
unattended.  Then I run mergemaster and do a final reboot to be
sure that most everything is up to date.

I've been tracking -stable for at least two years now.
I do this about once every two or three months. Occasionally there have been
changes to the procedure.  Like when the kernel building convention
changed.

While it has worked quite well for me YMMV.

--
    Chris Fedde