Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:30:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFSv4 Referrals, was Re: NFSv4 client and server...

I see that, along with what they call Mirror mounts, the OpenSolaris team
is building Referral support into their client. I put some code for
Referrals in a long time ago, but it is incomplete and untested.
(A referral can be thought of as a symbolic link/pointer to a file
  system on another server.)

What is needed is an entry in the local file system that can be
recognized as an nfsv4 referral and stores the referral data
(just something like "otherserver:/path").

As a dirty hack, I had thought of using a symbolic link, but with a
funny set of mode bits. (Local access on the server would just see
a symbolic link with funny mode bits and no extant file, but the nfs
server would recognize it as a referral and use it.)

But there must be a better way?

Any ideas? rick