Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:28:37 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
To:        jay@codegurus.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA_DMA errors (and fs corruption!) (JM)

Jayton Garnett <jay@codegurus.org> writes:

>I had a similar problem and i changed system cases where i was getting a
>ICRC error and FreeBSD refused to load or even mount the root fs, it was
>also giving errors with something to do with the ATA something or other,
>it turned out to be the cable i used after rebuilding the system in the
>new case, i used a normal EIDE cable instead of a ATA cable :-/

I've just encountered the same problem on 5.4-STABLE/i386. I rebuilt my
kernel with SMP and enabled hyperthreading in loader.conf, because the
security weakness doesn't really apply to my desktop machine.

So, kernel got the DMA error at boot and couldn't mount the root fs.
When I switched off HT in the BIOS, the system came up ok.

I've cvsupped 5.4-STABLE just a few hours ago.

mkb.