Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:22:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: same to the ports/51632 PR but in Xorg 6.8.1

--- Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si> wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 of January 2005 18:45, Rostislav Krasny wrote:
> > > Hello there.
> > >
> > > I use FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 with current ports. No metter what
> locale
> > I've
> > > set, when I run 'xterm -lc &' I see following message in the new
> xterm
> > > window:
> > >
> > > Warning: could not change ownership of tty -- pty is insecure!
> > >
> > > This is the same problem described in the ports/51632 PR about
> XFree86
> > > version of luit(1). Could you please fix it in the Xorg 6.8.1 port
> too?
> >
> > The same fix is already there. To quote a message from xorg-clients
> port:
> >
> > If you want to use xterm with locales in a secure manner, luit must be
> > installed setuid.  If you want to do this, hit Ctrl-C now and use
> > "make WITH_SETUID_LUIT=yes"
>
> Thank you very much for quick response and this explanation. I didn't see
> that message from xorg-clients port because instead of building each part
> of the Xorg ports collection separately I builded and installed the X.Org
> distribution metaport wich have xorg-clients as a dependecy. If
> WITH_SETUID_LUIT could be set during 'make config' I was never missed
> this
> configuration option. What do you think about making the WITH_SETUID_LUIT
> so?

BTW I think the message in the /usr/ports/x11/xorg-clients/Makefile and in
the /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients/Makefile about WITH_SETUID_LUIT should
be corrected, because WITH_SETUID_LUIT=yes must be set also during 'make
install' and 'make reinstall'. Otherwise luit will be installed without setuid.