Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 04:39:24 +0200
From:      "Philip Paeps" <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        <sabine225@home.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: CVSup is overkill for me

> > It's not *that* difficult, is it?
>
> It's horrendous.

Where's your sense of adventure?! :-D

> I don't want CURRENT I want STABLE, STABLE sounds better. But all the
> docs say no problem just say
> tag=something_from_a_list_somewhere_that_no_one_seems_to_tell_
> you_where_it_is
>
> Tell me is it, "RELENG_4" ?
>
> AND docs say if you make any kind of a typo in this
> tag=make_a_wild_guess it will delete all the files that don't
> match your system. Nice.

It will just blow up your source files, not a disaster, really ...

Try this for a /etc/cvsupfile:

*default  host=cvsup2.de.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_4
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
*default  compress

src-all
ports-all tag=.

This will keep your sources stable, and the ports very much up to date.  Just
replace 'cvsup2.de.FreeBSD.org' with something closer to home ('de' happens to
be close to my home), and you're all set.

> Yea, it's probably not that tough, it just that the
> documentation blows.
>
> YOU tell me this wasn't written by mutants:
>
> Quote from:
> "http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs
up.html#CVSUP-CONFIG-FILES"

# -- snip snip -- #

Documentation has never been my cup of tea ... I prefer the Socratic method
(asking questions) and fiddling until it either works or gets completely
fubar'ed (in which case I have backups).

>My Mac OS X politely says every Sunday afternoon, "We have an update of
>xxx.app, would you like to install it now?" I say, "Yes, thank you."

MacOS X is wonderful, I've got a Mac sitting here just to be able to tinker
with it ... still ... I much prefer FreeBSD.  If I didn't have to talk to
Exchange servers all the time (*sigh*) I wouldn't use anything other than
FreeBSD.

 - Philip