Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2010 20:03:28 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IcedTea6 Mozilla plugin with OpenJDK6

On 13 September 2010 19:54, Jung-uk Kim <jkim@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Friday 10 September 2010 07:32 pm, Ivan Voras wrote:

>> > Probably you want to test it locally:
>> >
>> > file:///usr/local/openjdk6/demo/applets/ArcTest/example1.html
>>
>> Yes, the local copy works. So it is just failing to load applets
>> over the network? Could this be some convoluted Java security
>> problem?
>
> I believe it just timed out for your environment. =C2=A0In fact, there is=

If it is a timeout, it's a very quick one - well under a second.

> reverse problem, i.e., some applets do not work locally when they
> want to open local files.
> E.g., /usr/local/openjdk6/demo/applets/MoleculeViewer/
> and /usr/local/openjdk6/demo/applets/WireFrame/ fail because they
> cannot open files in subdirectory (models). =C2=A0If anyone can reproduce
> the same problem under Linux environment, please file an upstream PR
> here:
>
> http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla/
>
>> > BTW, IcedTea plugin is not 100% compatible with Sun/Oracle's.
>> > =C2=A0Your mileage may vary. ;-)
>>
>> But the underlying Java is OpenJDK, right?
>
> Almost. ;-) There is a big missing piece for applet support in
> OpenJDK, i.e., Web Start. =C2=A0IcedTea team imported Netx as a
> replacement but it is not quite drop-in replacement, IMHO:
>
> http://jnlp.sourceforge.net/netx/
> http://langel.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/icedtea-and-netx/

I've tried your latest port
(http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/icedtea/openjdk6-icedteanp2.tar.bz2)
and the problem with applet initialization / timeout remains, but the
mutex "CPU eating" problem appears to be solved.

I hope you can get some of those patches applied upstream :)