Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:30:22 -0500
From:      Mithril <mithril@fastem.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: print server

--=.y:O8F:wRNYMgs0

Warren,

You are absolutely correct on this.  Samba works great for some things (file shares, etc.), but has been a major headache for printing from windows.  Simply install "Print Services for Unix" on your Windoze machines and you can print straight to lpd.  If you are using cups (like I am) simply run cups-lpd.  It works like a charm.  No hiccups like when I ran Samba.

Cheers,
Mithril

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:40:43 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Defryn, Guy wrote:
>
> > At the moment all our printers our network printers and they run on
> > 2000 server .
> >
> > I want to setup all the HP printers on Freebsd. All our users are on
> > windows machines.
>
> > What's the best way to start?
>
> People have been recommending Samba and various sorts of print filters,
> but you may not need that level of complexity.  The "serious" branch of
> Windows (NT) can send lpr print jobs.  Attach the printers to your
> FreeBSD machine.  Define the queues in /etc/printcap.  Install the
> various drivers on the Windows machines, and set them to print to an lpr
> "port" which is really the FreeBSD print queue.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

--=.y:O8F:wRNYMgs0

--=.y:O8F:wRNYMgs0--