Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        luoqi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm_fault deadlock and PR 8416 (was Re: Strange reboot  saga )

After removing the patch from my system, poof - deadlock.

I did the ctl-printscrean thing, and everything looked ok.  There were a
bunch of locks, shared, but I could not make much sense beyond the "ps" and
doing a trace which did not give me much info since I could not figure out
how to trace a specific process.  :(

Anyways this is a production email and dns system, so I can't futz with it
too much.  I've added the patch in and expect my system will run again until
*I* take it down.  Usually it locks up within 24 hours without the patch,
and it has run 4+ days with no lockup with the patch.  After 4 days I took
the system down to remote the patch and add debugging to my kernel, monday
rolls around and poof - locked up.

I would urge someone who has more of a clue about the locking issues to take
a look at this.

Cliff

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Cy Schubert wrote:

> In message <3.0.5.32.19990510151933.017f1b90@staff.sentex.ca>, Mike
> Tancsa writ
> es:
> > At 12:11 PM 5/10/99 -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > >I remember trying this exploit about a month ago when it was first
> > >announced.  It locked the system up solid within seconds.  After
> > >applying the patches from PR 8416 I currently have four copies of
> > >find and one tripwire running for over an hour and a half, with no
> > >hang.  The patches from PR 8416 appear to have fixed the hang.
> >

> > That is most excellent... Is there any reason why this patch has not been
> > applied to the tree ?  i.e. does it have any adverse side effects
> > preventing it from being committed ?
> >
> > 	---Mike
> >

> Version 1.24 of kern_lock.c does have the fix, however it relies on
> macros that only exist in -current.  Not being a FreeBSD kernel
> wizard, I can only guess that the version of the fix in PR 8416 may
> cause other problems or it might just be that version 1.24 of
> kern_lock.c is simply a more elegant solution.  If it is the
> latter, then temporarily committing the PR 8416 version into
> -stable might provide some relief until a more permanent solution
> based on version 1.24 can be engineered into -stable.
>
> Version 1.24 of kern_lock.c only fixes read()/mmap() deadlocks.
> Write()/mmap() deadlocks still have the potential of hanging the
> system, which may answer why the solution hasn't been MFC'd yet, as
> it's only a partial solution.  [IMO a partial solution is better
> than nothing, but then again I'm not a FreeBSD kernel wizard.]
>

> Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
> Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766
> Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
> ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
> Province of BC
>                       "e**(i*pi)+1=0"

Cliff Skolnick          | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
Steam Tunnel Operations |  a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty
cliff@steam.com         |  nor safety."
http://www.steam.com/   |                   -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759