Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:17:46 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-docs@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC - OSI Course Starter Kit...

Marc has been helping me figure out whether bothering to do this is
worthwhile.  So far the answer is maybe.  ;-)  Before I follow through
with the work that packaging this up would be (I can find other things
to do if this isn't worthwhile) I'd like to ask you folks to see if
this is useful.

I have the starts of what could be an Article on the Web site that
would basically be an Instructor's Manual for setting up a lab to be
used for a 2nd semester course teaching Operating Systems using
(surprise...) FreeBSD as the base system.  The starts of it are
at http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~kensmith/FreeBSD/crashlab.html though
it needs some more work.  Marc suggested adding more details about
exactly what it takes to get the server set up for NFS and that
sort of thing.

Along with that there is a Lab Manual, equally in need of work but what
I used for the Spring 2003 semester is at
http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~kensmith/FreeBSD/Lab_Manual.html.

These materials along with McKusick's book he's currently working on
should make setting up and teaching a kernel hacking class fairly
straighforward.

I was thinking about the crashlab.html becoming an Article on the Web
site, and the Lab Manual being provided as an OpenOffice document
because they'd need to be able to edit it (they wouldn't have the same
machine names I use, would probably have their own additions to the
Lab procedures, etc...).

Thoughts?  Is it worth doing?  Should it be done, but done differently?
Any suggestions about what to add other than more details on how to
configure the lab in the Instructors' Manual?

Thanks.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu