Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:55:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS + cdda2wav

:
:Hello Matthew,
:
:here's s.t. I can reproduce on all machines: If you try to
:read audio data from a CDROM using cdda2wav (latest version;
:shipped with cdrecord-1.8a16) and the resulting audio file
:is on an NFS, it will be 50k-100k too small. I tried this
:with all flavors NFS v2/v3 TCP/UDP--the same.
:
:cdda2wav writing to a local FS works perfectly. Not that I
:need to use it w/ NFS--it's a bad idea anyway--but it may
:help to get NFS more stable.
:
:  Bjoern

     Bjoern, ktrace the program run.  I suspect the problem is not
     NFS but that the write() latency is causing one of cdda2wav's
     forked processes to exit and kill its child before the child
     finishes writing.

     ktrace -t cn -i cdda2wav ....

     kdump -R | less

     Try to match up reads from the CD to writes to the output file.
     See if the final couple of read/write's match up.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>