Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:05:07 +0000
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Periph Destroyed With FBSD11.1 Azure VM

I just deployed FBSD 11.1 from the Azure Marketplace on an A0 Standard VM i=
n Azure.  Now I'm attempting to add a data disk.  I've created a 100 GB pag=
e blob disk and attached to the VM.  dmesg output shows the VM sees it but =
it has errors.  Please see this relevant output:

da2 at storvsc3 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
da2: <Msft Virtual Disk 1.0> Fixed Direct Access SPC-2 SCSI device
da2: 300.000MB/s transfers
da2: Command Queueing enabled
da2: 102400MB (209715200 512 byte sectors)
da2 at storvsc3 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
da2: <Msft Virtual Disk 1.0> detached
(da2:storvsc3:0:0:0): Periph destroyed

Using "camcontrol refresh all" produces similar output:

da2 at storvsc3 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
da2: <Msft Virtual Disk 1.0> Fixed Direct Access SPC-2 SCSI device
da2: 300.000MB/s transfers
da2: Command Queueing enabled
da2: 102400MB (209715200 512 byte sectors)
da2 at storvsc3 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
da2: <Msft Virtual Disk 1.0> detached
g_access(918): provider da2 has error
g_access(918): provider da2 has error
g_access(918): provider da2 has error
g_access(918): provider da2 has error
(da2:storvsc3:0:0:0): Periph destroyed

I have found little on this issue from Googling.  There is one thread at ht=
tps://forums.freebsd.org/threads/61266/ which says the issues was solved by=
 ensuring the data disk was created and attached to the VM while it was sto=
pped.  However, this didn't solve my issue.

There is also a comment to an Azure blog post regarding Spectre and Meltdow=
n.  In this comment, the posted claims issues began after Azure did patchin=
g.  Comment is the first one on this page:

https://disqus.com/by/andreyvoytenkov/

Can anyone confirm or deny if there is an issue with Azure at the moment?  =
If there is not an issue, what am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Drew

Like card tricks?
Visit the Alchemist's Warehouse to learn card magic secrets for free!

http://alchemistswarehouse.com