Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:05:36 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        David Carter-Hitchin <david@carter-hitchin.clara.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C++ Memory Profiling/Debugging

On 02/21/04 12:48 AM, David Carter-Hitchin sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone out there know a good C++ memory profiling/debugging tool for
> FBSD?  I'm looking for a tool like valgrind or purify.  I grepped around
> in the ports directory and I found "ElectricFence" and "mprof" but these
> seem to be for C only (as they refer exclusively to malloc & free).
> "bohem-gc" sounds like the kind of package I'm after - but I thought I ask
> in case anyone has better ideas... ?

devel/dmalloc is pretty good.  I'm using it with C on Solaris, but all
you do is basically link its library into your process, set a few
environment variables, and it will dump a complete list of statistics,
based on the values of the environment variables.  The most valuable
statistic is the origin of every single memory allocation that is not
freed.  Simply track those made by your code (file name and line
number of the malloc are given) and fix them.  I found it MUCH easier
to integrate and use than Efence or Purify.

If your process dynamically allocates memory that isn't intended to be
freed, like for internal structure allocation through the life of the
process, you might include a routine that frees such pointers in your
cleanup process.  I have a number of things I have to clear that
aren't intended to be freed during the life of the process, so I
simply added them within a conditional precompiler block that only
gets compiled when I'm building a memory debuggable version.

You wouldn't believe the memory leaks I found in (someone else's)
production code with this tool.  HIGHLY recommended.

Good luck.

> Please cc me on any replies - I had to drop out of this list sometime ago
> as the sheer volume was killing my mailbox...

I know what you mean . . .

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Unless hours were cups of sack, and minutes capons, and clocks the tongues
of bawds, and dials the signs of leaping houses, and the blessed sun himself
a fair, hot wench in flame-colored taffeta, I see no reason why thou shouldst
be so superfluous to demand the time of the day.  I wasted time and now doth
time waste me.
    -- William Shakespeare