Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 22:52:29 +0200
From:      Alson van der Meulen <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device nodes

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 04:34:18PM -0400, Colin Legendre wrote:
> How do I create device nodes on the fixit.flp floppy so that I can mount my
> hd partitions...
>
> ie /dev/ad0s1e
>
> By default the fixit.flp image only has the /dev/ad0s1 -s4 nodes no a-e ones
> though?
create them with mknod
f.e. mknod /dev/ad0s1e c 116 0x00020004
you can take these values from ls -l /dev/ad0* on a different freebsd
system.

They'll only last till the next reboot though i guess, /dev is really on
the mfsroot.flp image, and it's mfs...

If you want to make it more permanent, you'll have to adjust the
mfsroot.flp image (or boot.flp if you use CD boot)...

guess that just running mknod for the devices you need is the easiest
solution.

for more information: mknod(8)