Date:      Fri, 19 May 2006 14:38:27 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel panic on kldload in 6.1

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:54:19PM -0400, Joe Auty wrote:
>=20
> On May 18, 2006, at 12:36 AM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>=20
> > On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 07:06:59PM -0400, Joe Auty wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> A problem I've had since 6.0 remains in 6.1 where my machine kernel
> >> panics at boot trying to kldload some module (it doesn't say which
> >> one). It also does not log this panic.
> >>
> >> I suppose this isn't terribly helpful information, but if there is
> >> anything you can suggest I do (including pass this on to an
> >> interested party), please let me know how I can help =3D)
> >
> > It sounds like you have an old (6.0) module you're still trying to
> > load.  Things like the nvidia driver and other ports are prime
> > candidates.
> >
>=20
>=20
> Hi, I tried commenting out all of the kernel modules in /boot/=20
> loader.conf, and I'm still panicing. I wrote down some of the panic =20
> message this time.
>=20
> The code is "superviser read, page not present"
>=20
> the panic output is:
>=20
> panic: page fault
>=20
>=20
> Unless you guys have any ideas of things I can try, I'll just file this.
>=20
> Any ideas?

So you claimed originally that it was due to kldloading "some module",
but now you're still getting the same panic when you're not kldloading
anything?  Can you please clarify exactly what is the situation?

I suspect you're still actually kldloading something (modules are
loaded on demand for some things): did you boot into single-user mode
and confirm that all modules are up-to-date?

Kris

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5--