Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:37:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Revision control advice

Hello list,

I apologize for this posting being not-much-on-topic, but my other
resources have come to naught and I think you folks may have some
experience in this area.

I'm looking to set up some sort of revision control system at work. Simple
enough, except that our situation is approximately the reverse of what
most revision control systems are designed for.

Unlike, e.g., FreeBSD kernel development, we have dozens or hundreds of
small, rapid-fire projects that are created at the rate of 3 to 20 per
month. They last a few days or a few months and are (usually) not
developed afterward. Each project has one to three developers working on
it, sometimes simultaneously. Usually it's one guy per project.

Since my programmers are not necessarily UNIX-savvy, I'd like to deploy a
web interface for them which will allow them to create new repositories
(projects) as well as the normal checkin, checkout, etc. I want to set
this up once, and from there on have the programmers deal with managing
their own repos. And heaven forfend exposing them to the horrors of the
shell.

I've built a test server (9.0-RC3, amd64) for experimenting with this
stuff. So far I've installed and played with:
  - fossil. I like the simplicity and light weight, but it doesn't seem to
allow creation of new repos at all (let alone multiple ones) from the web
interface, and the documentation is meager. I've pretty much given up on
it.
  - subversion, which looks like the heavy hitter of RCSs, but it's not at
all clear to me how to handle the multiple-project scenario. Still working
on it.
  - git looks promising, but I have not installed it yet.

If anyone can point me to a tool that might be suitable, I would be most
grateful.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]