Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:48:51 -0600
From:      Joe Vender <jvender@owensboro.net>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: pppd crashes, was: kde-freebsd

On Saturday 10 February 2007 01:59, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> In case you didn't get cc'd on this, I think this is actually worthwhile
> trying, it might just get rid of the hanging/rebooting.
>
> What Hajime means is the debug.mpsafenet loader tunable.
>
> You can set this by creating the file /boot/loader.conf.local and adding a
> line
>
> debug.mpsafenet=0
>

> Cheers,

Well, I've set the tunable as suggested, configured KPPP and am using it now.
So far, no problem, but I haven't been online for long either, so time will
tell if thats the problem. I came across this which states that if you are
using pppd, then you need to set the tunable to 0, if I read it correctly.

This all makes me wonder, what is the advantage to having the debug.mpsafenet
set to 1 as default, anyway, if the computer only has a single processor?
Shouldn't the installer be smart enough to detect if the computer is single
or multiprocessor, and set the tunable accordingly, at least until ALL of the
network features are made MPSAFE so that it is no longer an issue? And, when
installing FreeBSD 6.2, the kernel that booted from the install CD was
GENERIC, but after the installation, the bootup showed that the kernel being
used was SMP. Being that my computer is a single processor, shouldn't it
default to the GENERIC kernel after installation, unless I request otherwise?

Thanks,
Joe