Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 06:14:34 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Novikmec Jozef <novikmec@intrak.tuke.sk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, deven@netexplorer.org
Subject:   Re: modem compatibility list?

Novikmec Jozef <novikmec@intrak.tuke.sk> types:
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Deven Kampenhout wrote:
> > I just moved into a new home, and unfortunatly, the new town I live in
> > does not have DSL capability (or any other affordable broadband). So my
> > dillema is now that I have to use a 56k modem to connect to the
> > internet. Does anyone know of a modem compatibility list for FreeBSD? If
> > not, does anyone have any reccomendations for a decent modem to buy? I
> > don't need any frills, just a plain and simple 56k modem for data (no
> > fax or voice required).
>
> I'm not guru in FreeBSD world, but I think that this is very similar to
> situation in Linux world. If you buy any external modem, it will be good.

Not quite true any more in either world. If it's an external serial
modem, you're fine. If it's a USB modem, it may or may not work on
FreeBSD. You need a modem that supports the ACM protocols, and not all
of them do. Last time I looked at Linux, there was no USB support at
all, but that's been most of a year ago.

Internal modems are problematical. If it doesn't say it works with DOS
or Windows NT, it's a winmodem. Generally, they don't work, but
there's a Linux driver for one version that can be made to work. Check
the list archives for more information. If it does work on those, then
it may well work on FreeBSD. If you have to have an internal modem,
I'd recommend buying one that claims to work on DOS and/or WinNT from
a place with a good return policy. You might also look through the
list archives to see if someone reported getting theirs working.

	<mike