Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:11:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Vegard Munthe <vegard@copyleft.no>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Troubleshooting

I'm setting up i4b on an OpenBSD 2.7, and have run into remarkably few
problems, until now. To this point I've compiled and installed i4b,
compiled and installed a new kernel supporting my Teles S0/16.3, compiled
and installed the freebsd userland ppp, and somewhat configured isdnd.conf
and ppp.conf.

Everything seemed to go smoothly until I started it all up with high
debugging priorities and got a "No Carrier" error in ppp...

Therefore I have two questions I hope someone can help me with;

First I'm wondering if there is any way to 'talk' to the ISDN card
directly to see if the driver is at all comunicating with the card? This
is my first wrestling match with ISDN, so I'm used to sounds and blinking
light to tell me I'm getting somewhere (read R2D2)... But my card is as
silent and passive as a NY policedepartment on a minoritymarch rampage...

The only reassurance I get are the few lines of kerneloutput on startup:

---
isic0 at isa0 port 0xd80/8 irq 11
isic0: Teles S0/16.3
isic0: ISAC 2085 Version A1/A2 or 2086/2186 Version 1.1 (IOM-2)
isic0: HSCX 82525 or 21525 Version 2.1
---

I.e. is there any way I can make sure communication between isdnd and the Teles
card is up and running?

My second question is more elaborate, as I'm asking for general guidance.
Here is what works on my system:

I get isdnd up and running nicely with 'isdnd -d0xf9 -f' and monitor
things from there. I then get ppp up nicely and try out a good 'dial',
regretfully without results. My log/ppp shows:

---
Phase: 1: closed -> opening
Phase: 1: Connected!
Phase: 1: opening -> dial
Phase: 1: dial -> carrier
Phase: 1: /dev/i4brbch0: No carrier
Phase: 1: Disconnected!
---

And my isdnd shows:

---
DBG msg_dialoutnumber: dial req from rbch, unit 0
DBG setup_dialout: entry userppp0 ok!
DBG find_by_device_for_dialoutnumber: found entry 0!
DBG FSM event [msg-dialout]: [idle => dialing]
DBG F_DIAL: local dial out request
DBG select_first_dialno: only one no, no = 22179080
CHD 00003 userppp0 rate 360 sec/unit (rate)
CHD 00003 userppp0 dialing out from 22175582 to 22179080
CHD 00003 userppp0 outgoing call disconnected (remote)
DBG msg_dialoutnumber: dial req from rbch, unit 0
DBG find_by_device_for_dialoutnumber: entry 0, cdid in use
DBG msg_dialoutnumber: config entry reserved or no match
DBG msg_dialoutnumber: dial req from rbch, unit 0
DBG find_by_device_for_dialoutnumber: entry 0, cdid in use
DBG msg_dialoutnumber: config entry reserved or no match
---

My ISDN line is fully functional as I have an ISDN telephone on a split
plug for testing, and I've tested the cables. My problem is finding where
the communication glitch is. My fear is that the kernel driver isn't
communicating with the card properly, but as the first question suggests,
I havn't found a way to test this yet. Any suggestions of getting this
fixed would help greatly. What to do now? :)

Best regards,

-- Vegard Munthe
   Copyleft Software
   Tel: 22232521