Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:06:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Minnesota Slinky <mnslinky@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and reboots under load...

On Dec 10, 2004, at 10:34 PM, jason wrote:

Minnesota Slinky wrote:

Hello list.

I am in the process of doing a major upgrade to my
home server.  I purchased an Asus A7V600-X
motherboard, an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor, and
installed 1GB of DDR 400 memory.  If it matters, I've
got two 120 GB Maxtor HDDs in a RAID 1 array.  The
problem I'm having is that the system reboots half-way
through a make buildworld.  I'm guessing this has to
do with heat, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any insight?  I've tried telling the
BIOS to ignore the proc/mobo temp.  Not sure yet if
that's working.

Thanks for the input!

Tell the bios to set off an alarm at a high temp, and
use sysctl -a | grep thermal to get your temps.  What
kind of power supply do you have?  Have you changed or
checked other bios settings?

I don't see any settings in BIOS regarding alarms and
such.  All I can do in BIOS is monitor the temp and
fan speeds.  I tried changing some settings, but when
I do, the mobo decides I must have a different
processor.

Thanks for the help.
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart,
S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J
Simpson