Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 1996 08:16:53 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Paulo Menezes <paulo@isr.uc.pt>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_mfs

In message <Pine.SUN.3.95.961205225215.2247A-100000@pioneer>, Paulo Menezes wri
tes:

>Hi,
>
>In one of our student labs I installed 4 486DX33 Machines as X-terminals.
>They are using netboot and share the same tree. I would like to make them
>mount the root filesystem readonly but the Xserver complains that need to
>create locks in /tmp.
>This could be simply solved by creating a "ramdisk" and mounting it in
>/tmp. I digged in the man pages for mount_mfs but I couldn't figure how to
>create an fstab entry for this. Can someone give me an example on
>how-to-do-this?

What I do is this:

	server:/somewhere/machine/root  mounted ro on /
	server:/somewhere/machine/usr  mounted ro on /usr
	server:/somewhere/machine/`hostname -s`/var mounted rw on /var
	server:/somewhere/machine/`hostname -s`/etc mounted rw on /etc
	server:/somewhere/machine/`hostname -s`/tmp mounted rw on /tmp

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.