Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:16:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Jake Burkholder <jburkhol@home.com>
Subject:   Re: when is it safe to call msleep?

On 13-Oct-00 Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Well, no panics, but it made the i386 like the alpha (freezes up in the
> middle
> of probing) on my 2xPPro.

Actually, my guess is that what is happening is that during probes
hardclock() isn't running yet, so we don't have process pre-emption
that would cause the init process doing the actual probes to be switched
back to.  In effect, you have a run-to-completion scheduler at that point,
so the init process won't get run again until all the outstanding
interrupt threads have run all of their handlers, and if one of those
handlers tries to busy-wait....   Moving the clock initialization
earlier might fix this.  Try moving SI_SUB_INIT_CLOCKS up before
SI_SUB_DRIVERS.  (We need the softinterrupts working for softclock to
work, so I don't think we can put it before SI_SUB_SOFTINTR.)