Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:40:23 GMT
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/104403: man security should mention that the usage of the X Window Systen is only possible with kern.securitylevel=-1

The following reply was made to PR docs/104403; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To: Niclas Zeising <lothrandil@n00b.apagnu.se>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:29:27 +0100

 On 2006-11-12 14:55, Niclas Zeising <lothrandil@n00b.apagnu.se> wrote:
 >Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
 >> I'm not sure.
 >>
 >> Should we also mention that you can't "installworld" with an elevated
 >> securelevel, because chflags may fail to work and cause problems?
 >> Should we also mention that not being able to change the firewall
 >> rules can be tricky, if you are testing your new firewall ruleset,
 >> and get locked out?
 >>
 >> There are *MANY* ways in which an elevated securelevel can turn
 >> around and bite you in the ass, but do we _really_ have to enumerate
 >> them all in mind-boggingly detail?  ... in a single manpage?
 >>
 >> I really don't know.
 >
 > I believe they should be documented somewhere, to avoid questions.

 I believe a manpage is not the right place for long, detailed, filled
 with gory details explanation of all the possible scenarios that can go
 wrong.  I mean, there are ways to destroy a system with rm(1) too, but
 we don't have a list of funny, albeit dangerous "rm -fr /" scenarios in
 that manpage too.

 This sort of stuff, in my opinion, belongs to a tutorial style guide,
 i.e.  something like a "Mini Guide for Security on FreeBSD".  A manpage
 should be written as a 'reference' guide, but that's only *my* point of
 view.

 > But you are right in that there are numerous consequences in raising
 > secure levels and that it might be a bit over the top to document them
 > all.  Maybe I/we have to face the fact that it's too much and/or
 > unnecessary to document all consequences, and rely on that if a
 > sysadmin feels the need to raise the secure-level he knows what he's
 > doing and the consequences of doing so.  Maybe the biggest issues in
 > raising secure-level should be mentioned, but then again, who decides
 > which those issues are?

 EXACTLY!

 Picking up what level of detail we want to appear in a manpage is not
 easy if we let all the details about all potentially harmful scenarios
 go in.  But if we treat manpages as 'reference' material, then the field
 is much much more clear.

 For example, we don't document all the different ways that fgets(3) can
 be abused in its manpage.  We don't document all the potentially stupid
 ways to use scanf(3) in its manpage either.  What we *do* write about in
 most manpages is a `reference guide'.

 > Maybe it's best to leave the documentation regarding this as it is,
 > and give an answer whenever the issues pops up.

 Or we can expand, extend and clean up the ``Security'' chapter of the
 Handbook, which has the potential and the purpose of being a guide which
 matches both a `tutorial' and `reference' styles (depending on how
 complete and nicely written the relevant sections are, of course).

 - Giorgos