Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:21:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion for kernel printk() ?

Hi Don Yuniskis;  On 27-Jan-97 you wrote:

> > > However, is it worthwhile for the mechanism that printk()  ?? uses to
> > > observe some kind of flow control?  It did not recognize scroll_lock,
> > > pause, ^S, etc.  This would have at least enabled me to read some
> > > (i.e. one screen full) of the messages to see what the kernel was
> > > complaining about.
> >
> > I may be offbase here, but scroll-lock, etc. are INPUT, while printk is
>
> Yes.  But all of those mechanisms tie in to provide flow control for
> regular console output functions.  Apparently, however, this happens
> at a higher level than I had hoped/assumed (i.e. more stuff has to be
> functional before this mechanism works).

Unfortunately, this makes some sense, as there are no interrupts during
some of this.  I solved this porblems on a SVR4.2 port by providing the
UART witha polled mode.  Added a walloping 20 lines of code to the driver.
What that means in a PC console I really do not know.  Real computers
should have only serial consoles.  Preferebly an LA34.  Right? :-)

> > output.  No?  Maybe a (oops :-) SysV-like mechanism where print{kf} go
> > a circular buffer andanother mechanism dumps it to ``the console''.
> > If you like ugly, (if memory serves), you can either pass an additional
arg
> > to the output routine (A la Linux) or designate the first character in
the
> > string to tell what to do, as in ~==console and buffer, !=bufferonly,
etc.

> I was suggesting having printk() examine the keyboard buffer for a pending
> "pause" key and blocking in this event.  However, it appears that the
> system couldn't handle that crude of an implementation...
>
> --don

I am so new to FreeBSD that I did not even see that there is a printk().
How does that relate to printf() is see everywhere?

Simon