Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 02:09:52 -0700
From:      Lorin Lund <fbsd@wbs-inc.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Diskette-less install program

I'm working on an install procedure oriented to first-timers where
I am assuming a single drive PC running Windows.  I'm writing a
program which will run under Windows to do BIOS write by sector
to load the partition with just some basic things so that it is bootable
and can run sysinstall.

I plan to have my program modify autoexec.bat to run FIPS and then
my program.  I know this can work under Win98 but I don't have
access to a WinME machine or a WinXP machine to see if this kind
of thing can work.  Has anyone run FIPS on these versions of Windows?

Does the typical home PC nowdays come with WinXP?  Is that with
FAT32 filesystem or NTFS?

Anyone interested in helping me test this please contact me off list.