Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:41:36 +0000 (EDT)
From:      Michael Imamura <gte255n@prism.gatech.edu>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal Services for BSD?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Lord Raiden wrote:
> 	Just curious, but I know that Win2k, and XP both have the Terminal
> Services client on them so that someone can work on a given workstation
> from a remote location, kinda like a simplified version of PC
> anywhere.  But does BSD or unix in general have anything like that for the
> shell/Xwindow environment?  I'm in no need of such a thing just yet, but I
> thought it would be neat if it was available.  And if it is, does it
> provide SSH security?

Hi, that type of networked functionality is one of the highlights of
Unix-like operating systems :)

Check out VNC:
  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
  (in the Ports Collection as /usr/ports/net/vnc)

It's been a while since I've used VNC, since I normally just use the
built-in networking features of X (and SSH X forwarding).  Here are a
couple resources on this:
  http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth.html
  http://www.lugatgt.org/articles/using_ssh/#toc_2_2_2

        - Michael Imamura  zoogie@lugatgt.org