Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2017 05:23:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building base source

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 16:01:25 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

> On 06/09/17 15:03, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com> writes:
> >
> >> I am experimenting with building the base source.
> >>
> >> What do I need to set (which knobs) to be able to build the base
> >> source and have the binaries built into a home directory.
> >>
> >> The source will be in /usr/src but I want all the binaries and all
> >> other files produced by the build to goto in
> >> /usr/home/FreeBSD/base/target.
> >>
> >> Will it be a copy of want is installed in the / (root) filesystem?
> >
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
> >

> I have already looked at that.  That is why I have the questions.  I
> want to build the base as a user and have it install its stuff into a
> subdirectory.

There are two variables that you will need to set: the directory
where the build happens, and the one where the result from that
build will be written to. The solution is quite simple, and of
course already present in the build infrastructure:

Set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and DESTDIR to locations where your $USER
has write access.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany