Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 01:28:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ___error changes break CDE and mwm

> > Why hasn't the ld.so patch been committed, as a workaround?
>
> John Polstra commented: "Ick!  Hacks like that are practically
> impossible to get rid of again, ever."
>
> With the transition to ELF well under way, I'd suggest that no hacks
> are necessary. We should bump the aout shared library versions for the
> release of 3.0. If 3.0 is released with ELF as the default, the
> unsafe errno implementation of the past will be orphaned in aout (where
> it belongs, IMO).
>
> Can we move on now?

Sure.  As long as a.out libraries aren't included in the 3.0 release
OR they are included, but *no* other changes requiring a version number
bump will occur before 3.0 is released.  I don't think this can be
guaranteed, if any 3.x library routines depend on 3.x only system
calls (mount/omount, anyone?).

Note that the hack only affects the 3.0-current ld.so, and could be
removed when the version numbers are officially bumped for the release
(ie: it goes away at the same time as the problem would have anyway).
It is as clean as it can get, and it's self-deleting on release.

Alternately, people could run 2.6R and quit complaining.  8-|.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.