Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:16:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gender in Indo-European languages

On Friday,  9 February 2001 at  8:50:26 -0600, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>>> In a newly-designed language, this would be reasonable.  In existing
>>> languages there are syntactical conventions.  In English and most
>>> other languages I can think of, a group of people of mixed gender is
>>> masculine.
>
> Argh! That's what we get for using English as the universal language.
> If we used Slovak, none of these problems would exist. (And yes,
> Slovak is an Indo-European language.)
>
> Slovak has a different word for man as a human being and a different
> one for man as a male human.

So do many Indo-European languages.  In German, "human being" is
"Mensch", and "man" is "Mann".

> Slovak does not need to say he, she, etc.  Instead, it just uses the
> verb in the third person, and implies the appropriate pronoun.

This is typical of the slavonic languages, of course.

> Furthermore, beside mine, yours, his, hers, etc, it has a personless
> variety of all the above (similar to Latin suus).  It could be very
> roughly translated into English as "self's". So, we say things like
> "turn on self's computer!" and "turn on self's computer", and "turns
> on self's computer." Whereas in English these would be unclear and
> would have to be "turn on your computer", "I turn on my computer"
> and "he/she turns on his/her computer".

This sounds like a reflexive pronoun, though I can't think of a
similar usage in other languages for this particular case.  I could
imagine a dialectical use something like "start yourself your
computer".

> It is amazing to me to see entire political movements being formed
> in the US based simply on the imperfection and rigidity of the
> English tongue.
>
> The most ridiculous thing I have ever seen was an author claiming
> that King Solomon was a sexist, basing that claim on the English
> translation of the Bible. Hehehe! She even claimed that English was
> the original language of mankind, then forgotten, and now being
> rediscovered. And this crap came out of a major US publishing house.

I think this says more about the people than the language.  I'd guess
that, in fact, English is one of the most flexible languages I know.

Greg