Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:19:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        "Adam D. Marks" <amarks@ecst.csuchico.edu>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make question

On 29-Sep-99 David Scheidt wrote:
>  I have a dual PII-400, with 256MB.  One Ultra2 SCSI disk, and two IDE disks.
>  I get about ~55 minute buildworlds, with idle CPU most of the time, and ~100
>  disk transactions per disk involved.  Memory isn't a factor, either.

Hmm.. my best was ~54 minutes.. Seems quite strange given I have an all round
slower box..

I did a buildworld on a friends dual PII-450 box w/ 10k disks in 45 minutes, so
perhaps you need to increase the number of processes :)

(ie try -j 12 or similar)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum