Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:41:18 -0800
From:      Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>
To:        Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

Baldur Gislason wrote:

> There is such a distribution, it's called Slackware (www.slackware.com).
> It uses BSD fashioned binary packages, BSD style init scripts and the
> installer installer is quite similiar to the FreeBSD one, also they've proven
> to make a much higher quality distribution than most other Linux
> distributions (They only include software that has proven itself, and they
> seem to test things before releasing)

Though I'm not sure, I think Slackware was the first "real" usable Linux
distribution.  I do know that the first Linux I ran, kernel v. 0.99 (I
had one of the first webhosting companies, at the end of 1994), was a
slackware distribution; I still have the CD-ROM.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>
nobaloney.net