Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2019 07:22:02 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org>, "koobs@freebsd.org" <koobs@freebsd.org>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: error: yacc.h: No such file or directory

In message <02F99EF6-3A8E-42A2-8B35-6524FD4E1755@gmail.com>, Enji
Cooper writes
:

> > On Jun 18, 2019, at 06:59, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> On Jun 18, 2019, at 06:53, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> Last Saturday, Bryan (cc'd) made a series of commits (r349061-69) that
> >> were all somehow related to dependency processing in the build.  I
> >> don't know the details, just remember seeing some commits about that.
> >
> > I remember that as well. This might have changed the dependency order subtl
> y, introducing a race.
> >
> > The headers might not be built in all cases in time now.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Enji
> >
> > PS This is one of the reasons why I wasn’t quick to discount Peter Jeremy
> ’s reported build issue.

This is why I raised the issue of build race in that thread. My
experience was a different file but it smelled similar. What led me to
believe it was a race was that one of four buildworlds failed for no
logical reason. The other three built fine. And, the failed buildworld
built fine after simply restarting it.

I've experienced these oddities before Bryan's series of commits though
I thought it was a strange coincidence one of four would fail a day
after the makefile changes. Hence my choice of words: exacerbated.

> Correction: I meant Julian Stacey.

My issue with Julian was his attack. You can't help people who are on
the warpath.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>