Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:37:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      jphdumas@lemel.fr (JPH Dumas)
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fxtv pal-secam

I have an Hauppauge WinTV PCI, PAL-SECAM, I run 2.2.7+patch for CAM,
with the brootree driver enabled. Screen is 1280x1024x32 76hz.
The video card is an ATI Xpert@work 8M.
fxtv sort of works, my antenna is worse than anything, but i can
see that I receive some images on some channels.
It does not crash, but when i push the wrong button, X get mad,
the screen is out of sync obviously, and I have to ctrl+alt+bs.
But no problems, I can live with it.

OK, now some questions:
- Is there a way to fine tune the frequency while fxtv is running,
something like small increments/decrements bound to the + and - key,
I may even volunteer to write this, if I know a little bit more
about how to do it. I program no problems in C, but I don't have
the slightest knowledge in X11 programming...
- How can I know if the tuner in the card is a TEMIC or a PHILIPS ?
at boot time the kernel tell me something about the card, sure, but
*everytime* it is *different*, I have seen Intel, temic, philips,
DBX, stereo, no tuner, etc. Everything. Don't tell me to remove the
label on the tuner box on the board.
- One thing that strikes me is that I never had the sound, exept the loud
cling-clang when changing channel in audio-auto, so I switched to
audio-internal. The hardware is SB64 AWE, I use snd0 and sbxxx drivers,
but I don't know if it is ok. How to test this part ? Kernel is happy
but I have no indication that at the app level everything is ok.
-btw, is there somewhere a awe64 driver ? (I tried the 32, no joy.)
-In the last bt848 driver I found, a file is missing : opt-bktr.h,
I had to backtrack to the vanilla code of 2.2.7. Where can I find
a *complete* bt848 driver source, recent of course, or at least
the opt-bktr.h
-The tuner in this card seems to be a zillion times less sensitive
(a with a zillion times worse s/n ratio) than regular TV, is this
true ? any figure about it ?
- Is there any way to go full screen ? The window limit to 640x578 (or
something), i.e. a fourth of the screen surface. Well, I can probably
set XF86config for a 640x480 full screen. Is there an easy way to do
this at startx time ? (my XF86config is voluntarily restricted to
1280x1024, but I just have to uncomment 640x480 32 100hz, I hope)
-a paranoid question : is the frequency table really set for
SECAM in France ? (In a short try of xawtv in Linux, I saw clearly that
the best reception was by fine tuning in betwenn the channels,
in the version I had the channels where set only for PAL & NTSC.
I don't know if PAL and SECAM share the frequency/channel assignement)
-How do I know that the fxtv/driver recognize the DSP chip supposed
to give me stereo NICAM sound ? It is on the board.

-What about /dev/mix, I don't have a /dev/mix, what should it be ?
(I don't remember which program keeps complaining about it,
I tried quite some this afternoon, and I have to walk to use the net)

Jean-Pierre H. Dumas
jphdumas@lemel.fr