Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 2000 04:58:31 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.1-STABLE BOOT SLICE PROBLEM

Hello,
what are you talking about? Read in the handbook:

10.3.1. Slices and Partitions
Physical disks usually contain slices, unless they are ``dangerously
dedicated''. Slice numbers follow the device name,
prefixed with an s: ``da0s1''. Slices, ``dangerously dedicated'' physical
drives, and other drives contain partitions, which represented as letters from a
to h. b is reserved for swap partitions, and c is an unused partition the size
of the entire slice or drive. This is explained in Section 10.5.

> The "fdisk" program will allow you to create up to four different
> thingies on the disk.  Let's call them partitions.

No these are Unix slices. Don´t confuse the world. Therefore they´re numbered
ad0s1 to ad0s4. s like slice! They´re called partitions, in DOS-parlance.

> If you install Linux, a couple of them are pre-opted for the swap space
> and for the filesystems.

Linux can be completely installed within an (DOS-named) extended partition (Unix
naming should be: extended slice).
Within this extended one you can create as many (DOS-named) logical partitions
(Unix naming should be: logical slice) as you want. One of these is needed for
swap, one for root. You can share the rest of the extended slice with as many OS
as you want. No need for a primary slice for Linux alone. Of course you can use
primary slices instead of logical slices, but you´re not urged to do so.

> That one fdisk partition can then be broken into (up to) 15
> thingies.  Let's call them slices.

This should read: This one fdisk slice can then be broken into (up to) 8
partitions, numbered a to h.
Therefore ad0s1a to ad0s1h.

NOTE: Unix slices are called partitions in DOS-naming, but I never read of a
Unix partition called slice somewhere!
Unix partitions simply don´t exist in DOS-like OSs.

> Anyway, just be careful you know what the context is when you read
> (or hear) the terms "partition" and "slice".  For this e-mail (and
> possibly nowhere else), you can have four partitions and 15 slices.

"Possibly nowhere else" is true. It´s true however that the fdisk manpage states
in the BUGS section:

"Throughout this man page, the term `partition' is used where it should
actually be `slice', in order to conform with the terms used elsewhere."

So the hint to pay attention what is called by partition is correct. What is
called by slice is non-ambiguous!

Regards
Siegbert