Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:15:44 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Tony Abou-Assaleh <taa@acm.org>
To:        "elaconta.com Webmaster" <webmaster@elaconta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Gateway to replace old Linux gateway

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, elaconta.com Webmaster wrote:
> The routing table on the Linux box, as shown per the "route" command:
>
> [root@visao root]# route
> Tabela de Roteamento IP do Kernel
> Destino        Roteador        M=E1scaraGen.         Op=E7=F5es      M=E9=
trica
>     Ref    Uso     Iface
> 192.168.1.0    *               255.255.255.0       U           0
>      0      0       eth1
> 192.168.1.0    *               255.255.255.0       U           0
>      0      0       eth1
> 127.0.0.0      *               255.0.0.0           U           0
>      0      0       lo
> default        192.168.1.120   0.0.0.0             UG          0
>      0      0       eth0
>
> Hum, some things in this table are in portuguese... Basically "Tabela de
> Roteamento IP do Kernel" means Kernel IP Routing Table, "Destino" means
> Destiny, "Roteador" means Router, "M=E1scara" means Mask.
> Now the thing that strikes me in this Linux routing table are the
> asterisks (*).Are they normal, or some kind of Linux black magic?
> Is there a way to reproduce this routing table on FreeBSD? What do the
> asteriks mean?

In English, the headings are:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface

Gateway is more appropriately described as 'next hop'. In your case, that
would be the IP of your router for all outgoing external traffic. Since
the internal traffic is connected directly (likely through an Ethernet
hub), packets going to the LAN should be destined directly to their
destination IP.

According to your routing table, I believe there is no way to access the
web interface of your router (if any) from your LAN, because all
192.168.1.* traffic will be sent on eth1, which is your LAN.

You can use the route command manipulate the routing table directly and
reproduce the above. I think it can also be done using the firewall, but
it's a little trickier there. Check your firewall rules to see if it is
set explicitly there. (if it is, then you should see rules that are similar
to the entries in the routing table in terms of content).

Cheers,

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Email:    taa@acm.org