Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 1996 18:56:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New drives

> It's time to bring out the checkbook and do some upgrading.  I looked in
> the computer shopper, and there's some good deals on Fujitsu drives, so I
> though I might pick up a 2 G model.  I know they carry a 5 year warranty,
> I was wondering if anyone knows anthing too negative about them?

I have a couple of earlier fujis and though they DO run hot, they're
also quite fast and highly reliable.  As long as you have good
cooling, true also for drives like the Seagate Barracuda, you're in
good shape.

> It's also time to upgrade one of my two 486's to a Pentium.  I've heard
> reams about some motherboards that use external cache poorly, or don't
> really take advantage of ED0 ram.  Does anyone have a positive
> recommendation on a board that doesn't have any problems (so far) ?

The ASUS and Tyan motherboards seem to be good buys.  I buy ASUS MBs
and have good luck, Paul Vixie buys Tyans for his BSD/OS systems and
likes those.

					Jordan