Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2000 00:43:35 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, "'Edward Gold'" <edgold@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall 'A'uto partitioning

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> > The first time I installed freebsd, I picked numbers that were
> > a little larger than the defaults for '/' and '/var', and still
> > found myself needing to redo the entire installation in less
> > than a week because /var was too small.  That was fine enough
>
> And as you've seen by subsequent discussion, it's impossible
> to derive a "one size fits all" solution for something like /var.
>
> I would expect this to come out of the "I know where you want it, now
> what kind of install will this be?" question which the newbie
> installer gets to answer second.  If they pick "mail server" from
> the menu then /var will get a totally different ratio % assigned
> to it.  If they pick "personal workstation" then 20MB is, if anything,
> perhaps a little high.
>
> > Or are you saying that the newbie option would just use the
> > entire disk as one partition (the way that MacOS 10 server
> > does...)?
>
> No, that's evil for a lot of reasons which I won't go into here. :)

I don't agree... A small /, and a huge /usr, with an additional var
symlink, shouldn't cause any troubles to newbies, and avoid some
problems. I think that the "use all available space" option ought to do
this.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

        One IP to bring them all and in the zone bind them.