Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:09:47 +0000
From:      Ghulum Dastgir <Ghulam_Dastgir@uk.ibm.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   shells, users and X

hi,

well here goes:

 1. I've installed X-windows on my FBSD installation then decided to
change my root shell from /bin/csh to /bin/bash. After editing with vipw I
found I couldn't access
 X-windows anymore i.e. if I enter startx: it says command not found.
How can I fix this as startx was working previously with csh?

 2. More importantly, when I add a user I find that the user's home
directory is either /home/username/username or /usr/username. These home
directories don't list  any files and startx doesn't work.
 So how do I access X-windows as a user given I have a working
installation as root? N.B. when adding user adduser says /home
 group doesn't exist - does this mean I've got to add entry to
/etc/group, if so how?

Is it actually worth the extra effort working as a user, because only I'll be
working on my FBSD install on my pc at home. As a mere user I guess I can't
acess the cdrom drive, mount my /dos partition etc - so I-ll be constatly
typing "su".

By the way I have version 2.2.6 and I don't seem to have been given Ghostview
(it was included in the earlier 2.2.5 FBSD release), how come?

any thoughts welcome.....

ghulam