Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 03:34:44 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed code: automatic setting of hostname from MAC address

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 01:42:49AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > The call to auto_set_hostname() in rc.conf will fetch the MAC address
> > from the first ethernet card,
>
> I like the idea, except which etherent card is "first"?

the first one listed by "ifconfig -l" :)

In practice, in my databases i tend to put the MAC
addresses of all cards installed, so the process is
reasonably safe even if the probe order changes.

Think only broke briefly when ifconfig stopped printing
leading zeros in the MAC addresses, but this has been
fixed now.

	cheers
	luigi