Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2011 06:59:24 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to make devfs show fdisk updates?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 00:32:27 -0400 (EDT), Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have recently been using fdisk(8) to activate additional partitions, but
> have been unable to cause the device nodes corresponding to the new
> partition to appear in /dev other than by rebooting.  (This is on the
> device which contains the root filesystem, so kern.geom.debugflags=16 is
> necessary to perform the fdisk.)
> Please advise on how to effect the creation of the device node(s) in a
> non-disruptive fashion.

I think it's still "common practice" to "taste"
the device file in order to make new partitions
show up:

	# true > /dev/da0

In this example, I assume that da0 is the _disk_
in question where you've added partitions. Now
the proper device files (e. g. /dev/da0a, /dev/da0d,
/dev/da0e, /dev/da0f... resp. /dev/da0s1a, /dev/da0s1d,
/dev/da0s1e, /dev/da0s1f...) should appear in
the device file system.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany