Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:27:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        ambrisko@FreeBSD.org, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/mii mii.c

John Polstra writes:
| In article <200208072218.g77MIXPA082326@freefall.freebsd.org>,
| Doug Ambrisko  <ambrisko@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
| > ambrisko    2002/08/07 15:18:33 PDT
| >
| >   Modified files:
| >     sys/dev/mii          mii.c
| >   Log:
| >   Only attach one PHY device to a controller.  NetBSD has similar code.
| >   The D-Link DFE-580 card will otherwise show 2 miibuses for each controller
| >   and therefore 2 ukphy's.
|
| [cc to -net]
|
| This change seems wrong to me.  Since the MII bus is a bus and since
| phys have addresses on the bus, I've always assumed that the intent
| was to be able to have more than one phy on an MII bus.  While I don't
| know of any NICs that actually use that feature, I hate to see it get
| disabled without careful consideration.

Although I don't disagree that you have a potential solution.  I question
whether there isn't a technical issue if you have multiple PHY's
attached to a NIC.  In the current stuff how would you ifconfig the
other PHYs?  If you can't access the other PHYs then why attach them.

Did you look at the NetBSD code?  When I read it they avoid probing more
then one PHY in the MII code.  Since we got this code from them shouldn't
we follow suit?  Did I mis-understand their code?

Thanks,

Doug A.