Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>, obiwan@zeppelin.net, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, bde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3.0-19970209-SNAP to -current

Well I hate to throw a 'monkey wrench' into the spoke of this problem, but
I'm running 3.0-current (last CVSUP was Fri. 4/6 which includes the lite2
merge) with a Western Digital 1.6 EIDE as master on the primary and a Sony
8X ATAPI slave and a Western Digital 3.1 EIDE as master on the secondary
controller.  I'm also running X w/ Accelerated X.  I haven't had any
reboots, other than the one's I've initiated with shutdown -r now (that's
because fetchmail was acting strange).  I've had uptime as high as 8 days
before I rebooted.  I'm not using NFS but I do have ppp on-demand running.
I'll try killing it to see if my machine reboots by itself.

I killed ppp and so far the system has not rebooted.

FWIW, here's my setup:

ASUS P/I P55T2P4 MB w/ 512k pipeline burst w/ P5-133, 64MB EDO
(non-parity) RAM, SMC ethernet card, Matrox Mystique 4MB video,
ProAudiospectrum 16 sound w/ SCSI and Supra Express 28.8 Plug-N-Pray
modem.

I started w/ 2.1.5R --> 2.2 SNAP 961014 --> 3.0 SNAP 970209 -->
3.0-current CVSUP 4/6 w/ make world & kernel rebuild.

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, David Nugent wrote:

> > > I've been trying to reproduce the problem on the other machines,
> > > but be damned if I can even see a pattern. It is a very uncomplicated
> > > system P166/32mb RAM, 2 large EIDE drives, no X, just ppp dialin lines
> > > with a digiboard card. Anyone else wish to exchange notes?
> > >

> > Does this machine reboot alot?
>
> I guess "alot" is somewhat subjective, but rebooting spontaneously
> for any reason is a lot in my books! :-)
>
> But around once at least every 3 days it'll just reboot, and some
> days are worse than others. No message, no (apparent) panic. As
> I've already mentioned, though, I don't have DDB enabled on that
> system, but even if I did it may not do any good.
>
> > I'm reboot mine at will simply by dropping
> > pppd or killing it.
>
> Ouch. I don't *think* it is as simple as that. This machine varies
> between 7500 - 9200 minites of user dialin time per day, 99% of
> connections being pppd. If the problem was pppd dropping, then
> it'd be a lot more frequently!
>
> Then again... I did notice only yesterday that when one machine
> that was connected via a standard sio device hung up, the machine
> rebooted pretty much at that same instant, although this is the
> only time I've noticed the coincidence. Activity on the digiboard
> ports don't seem to be involved, and that's where all of the dialin
> customers call in. Activity on the standard serial ports is
> relatively infrequent.
>
> Might it be an sio problem?  If this is possible, then I might
> revert to an earlier version of the sio driver and see if I can
> work out what's going on.
>

> --
> David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
> Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
> davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/

---
Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
system at http://www.freebsd.org

E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)