Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:05:55 -0500
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Jacques Hugo <jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh and scp

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 02:25:44PM +0200, Jacques Hugo wrote:

> Can scp be automated that it can read the passwd from
> a user on a trusted host?  I would like to scp -r
> directories during the night from one box to another.

If you want a user on one machine (which I'll call "client") to
be able to ssh (or scp) into another box ("server") without supplying
a password, take these steps:

Make sure that ~/.ssh/identity.pub exists on client.  It is normally
there, as long as you have used ssh before.

Append the contents of that file to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on server.
If that file doesn't exist, create it with the contents of client's
identity.pub.

You can now ssh from client to server without supplying a password.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Think locally, act globally.
http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.