Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:00:41 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        jlm@welearn.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting up to produce documentation

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 06:54:10PM +1000, Jonathan Michaels wrote:
> i understand how freebsd works, but i'll be damned if i can
> work out out to construct the machine that will produce printed
> documentation.

Assuming you're talking about writing in SGML, and then producing printed
output, by far the simplest way to do this (but not necessarily the
fastest) is to

1.  Get and Install textproc/docproj,

        # cd /usr/ports/texproc/docproj
        # make JADETEX=yes install

    I've heard occasional reports from people that this doesn't work
    right for them.  I've just tried it on a freshly installed FreeBSD
    system and it worked straight away, so you shouldn't have any problems.

2.  Write your documentation in DocBook.  Use the examples at the bottom
    of the FDP Primer to convert your DocBook to other formats (in
    particular, Postscript).  You can preview these with tools like
    Ghostview.

3.  If you have a Postscript printer then configure FreeBSD to use it,
    following the directions in the Handbook.

4.  Use the output from (2), and what ever you did in (3), to print your
    Postscript documents.