Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:22:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembly, Kernels and Bootstraps

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Ryan Sommers wrote:

:Greetings,
:
:Recently I became interested in researching and learning whatever I could
:about how a computer boots and what is involved. There are probably better
:places to get this information but since FreeBSD is my development
:environment of choice I thought I would start here.
:
:I just have a few questions that if you could take a few minutes to answer
:you would make my day.
:
:Several of the sites I have visited on assembly say it isn't needed
:anymore. Is it still needed to write a bootstrap?
:
:Where is a good starting point to just read through some of the Kernel
:source? Where is the entry point? I'm on all x86 architecture.
:

Ever think about reading the intel manuals?

--
Andrew R. Reiter
arr@watson.org