Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:08:33 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>
To:        Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>, Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>, Ted Cabeen <secabeen@pobox.com>, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hogwash

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Tony Landells wrote:

> jake@iki.fi said:
> > How do you figure this works for commercial companies that need secsh
> > connections for business critical needs up and running 24x7?
>
> A couple of possibilities that spring to mind are:
>
> 	1. Buy the commercial version, and get commercial support.
>
> 	2. Fund the OpenSSH development so they can put funded resources
> 	on to fixing problems (and hence can ignore distracting influences
> 	like actually making money to pay for food, or turning in assignments,
> 	or ...)

With the attitude OpenSSH team has? No commercial company will give money
to someone who says "turn it off if it doesn't work".

> If you expect a volunteer group to provide you with iron-clad secure
> products, or to fix any found problems instantly, I think you're being
> somewhat unrealistic.

I don't expect, that is exactly what they claim they are doing, giving out
iron-clad secure products. ;) I wasn't expecting an instant fix either, I
was just pointing out an interesting attitude, "if it doesn't work, just
it turn it off" while on the other hand advocating OpenSSH as a
viable alternative to commercial products which do not have the luxury of
telling that to their customers. ;)

> They've found a problem, they've issued a warning, they're working on
> a solution.  How much more do you want for free???

A cup of java?-)

	-jake

--
Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>            http://www.iki.fi/~jake/
System Administrator                    2001:670:83:f08::/64