Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:19:37 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>, Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DocBook formatting style?

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 03:05:10AM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>  * > I can see how it makes the translations easier.  I can also see how it
>  * > makes editing the content after it's been written more complicated (no more
>  * > M-q to refill the paragraph -- aargh).
>
> Refilling the paragraph after minor editing is a real pain for
> translators.

Yep.  This is why standard operating procedure when working on stuff in
doc/en* is to commit the content changes first, without making any white
space changes (see, for example, my recent commits to
handbook/ports/chapter.sgml) and then commit the whitespace, formatting
changes separately).

About the only exception to this is if the changes can be carried out
completely mechanically, and the mechanism to do so is clearly described
in the commit message (or supporting e-mail / README file, or equivalent).

We're not perfect, and I've made a few mistakes in doing this myself,
particularly in the early stages of the Handbook's DocBook migration.  But
I try and keep a whether eye out on the doc/en* commits, and do let people
know if they've unwittingly made life harder for the translation teams.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>