Date:      Mon, 24 May 2004 15:34:38 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <daniel.bye@psineteurope.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall config question

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 05:48:21PM +0400, Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:37:43 +0100
> Daniel Bye <daniel.bye@psineteurope.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> DB> My understanding from reading sysinstall(8) is that the sysinstall
> DB> binary needs to have LOAD_CONFIG_FILE set in the environment, not
> DB> the release build.
> DB>=20
> DB> Try adding it to the Makefile for sysinstall, and see what
> DB> happens...
> DB>=20
> DB> However, I have recently set up a custom install script, which
> DB> simply has the default name, install.cfg.  As long as it is located
> DB> in the root of your mfsroot file system, sysinstall will load it.=20
> DB> If you don't have a particular need to give it a different name, you
> DB> might give it a go.
>=20
> Thanks; will try it.
>=20
> WHat is the correct way to add install.cfg? Should it jut be put into /us=
r/src/release before build?
>=20

Maybe that would work - but it's not how I'm doing it.  I am building a
custom mfsroot image, into which I install statically linked binaries etc,
as well as a copy of my install.cfg.  This has the advantage of being easy
to modify - if you need to alter the install.cfg, you don't have to
completely reblow your release build; you can just mount the mfsroot image,
and edit the file like a normal file.

Something like this should work for you:

# gunzip /path/to/release/mfsroot.gz
# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /path/to/release/mfsroot -u 0
# mount /dev/md0 /mnt

(copy your custom install.cfg to /mnt)

# umount /mnt
# mdconfig -d -u 0

Your imstall.cfg now resides in the root of the mfsroot image, and will be
picked up by sysinstall when it starts at boot.

HTH,

Dan

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN--