Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:31:49 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
Cc:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of Disklabel

In message <ybuy9y33dpo.fsf@jesup.eng.tvol.net.jesup.eng.tvol.net>,
Randell Jes
up writes:
>         Before you start, you should look at the updates to disklabel I've
> submitted to Warner Losh for checkin.  While they don't change the evil
> UI, they do greatly expand the flexibility of how to specify partition
> sizes and positions, and also considerably increase error checking
> (including for minor things like overlapping partitions).

Overlapping partitions are perfectly legal.  Of course you cannot
simultaneously use overlapping partitions, but you can set up a disktab
entry to create overlapping partitions and alternatively initialise the
partitions you wish to use, e.g you can define overlapping partitions
in the label, yet only use combinations of partitions that you require
at the the time.  Evi Nemeth explains the rational behind this in her
system administration books.

If you want to look at UI's, Compaq Tru64-UNIX has an excellent disk
partitioning UI, with slider bars and warnings about overlapping
partitions -- a very polished application.  The problem is that it
requires X.  An X based install might be nice, however I think it's
hardly worth the effort.  IMO this would be a value add for commercial
product, e.g. BSDi.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC